In 2018, Google really took all of the SEO community, digital marketers and business owners for a ride that had ups and downs, twists and turns and everything in between. The recent March 12th “Florida 2” update has people reeling as well. With each algorithm update, whether it be big or small, SEOs learned a lot. If one thing is for sure, Google knows how to keep us on our toes, and we wouldn’t expect anything less going forward into the rest of 2019. Bring it on Google!
Still, there are some takeaways we should bring with us to ride through the ebbs and flows as they come. Here are a few tips to take into consideration that 2018 algorithm updates brought to light:
Focus on Quality
In March, April and August of 2018, Google rolled out huge core algorithm updates. There was a clear underlying message being sent that focused on website quality. We saw hard hits to health and medical websites along with your money or your life (YMYL) sites which deal with pages that can impact your wellbeing through major life decisions and issues.
No, we’re not telling you to take a break from SEO and go grab a bite to eat. E-A-T stands for expertise, authoritativeness and trustworthiness. Following these guidelines, hypothetically speaking, should help improve your rankings on search engine results pages. If you have some time or are looking for a new great read, check out the not-so-short general guidelines to search quality rating that Google created. Along with having relevant pages that serve a purpose for whatever the user may be searching for, here is what you should focus on when it comes to E-A-T:
- Do include clear and satisfying information on your website that is relevant and of the highest quality.
- Frequently update your blog with new articles about your business and trending topics in your industry, think about the keywords people are looking up and try and use them to your benefit.
- Keep it simple and straightforward when it comes to providing answers to common questions.
- If your content includes medical advice, have it reviewed by a doctor.
- Make sure your website is user AND mobile friendly, this is very important to Google.
- Include interactive elements, photos, videos, clear calls to action (CTAs), question and answer content and smooth navigations to make it the best experience possible.
We know it’s easy for the average business owner to become overwhelmed by SEO and algorithm updates stealing valuable traffic. Contact us if you have any questions about SEO best practices and how it could help your business.
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
- Interact With Us Episode 2: Foundational SEO – Website Uptime & Speed - April 15, 2019
- Interact Marketing Establishes Midtown Office Presence in NYC - April 11, 2019
- Interact Marketing’s Total Charitable Contribution Grows to 5% in 2019 - April 9, 2019